September is Hunger Action Month!
Every September, Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida and Food Banks across the nation participate in Hunger Action Month. During this time we ask our communities to lend their voice and spread the word about hunger.
Will you lend us your voice this September for Hunger Action Month?
30 Ways in 30 Days
Use our online “30 Ways in 30 Days” calendar to find activities that can be done each day in September to help fight hunger here in Central Florida. Some actions are small like sharing a statistic about hunger in Central Florida via Facebook while some are larger like attending one of the special events that month.
Skip a Meal Challenge!
1 in 6 Central Floridians struggle with hunger. How can you help?
During the Month of September, Take the Skip a Meal Challenge!
1. Skip a meal and feel for a short while what hunger feels like for so many of our neighbors.
2. Donate what you would have spent on lunch to provide meals to those in need at www.skipameal.org.
3. Share on Social media and challenge 3 friends to take the Skip a Meal Challenge with hashtag #SkipAMeal.
Social Media verbiage:
“I accepted the Second Harvest Skip a Meal Challenge to donate my lunch money to provide meals to my neighbors in need. I challenge (friend), (friend) and (friend) to do the same. #SkipAMeal”
*Skipping a meal is a personal choice, and not a requirement for this challenge.
Let’s work together to create hunger awareness through Hunger Action Month this September!
Hunger Action Month Highlights!
- Taqueria Tuesdays – In support of Hunger Action Month, 10% of dinner sales from Black Rooster Taqueria every Tuesday throughout the month of September will benefit Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida.
- Go Orange on Thursday, September 8! You too can raise awareness of hunger! Wear the color orange on September 8.
- Chick-fil-a SHFB Spirit Night. Join SHFB at Chick-fil-a Orange Ave. on Thursday, September 15th from 5p – 7p for Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida’s Spirit Night. 10% of proceeds will go to the cause. Flyer required, download here.
- O’Neill Gives Back! Shop at O’Neill Gives Back Friday September 16th through Sunday, September 18th and 20% of all sales will go to Second Harvest. Flyer required, download here.
- Menchie’s Gives Back. Join SHFB at Menchie’s Winter Park Village on Thursday, September 22nd from 6p – 10p for Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida’s Partial Proceeds Night. 10% of proceeds will go to SHFB. Be sure to download this flyer.
Sunday Funday Brunch
Join us Sunday, September 25th for our first ever Sunday Funday Brunch – Presented by the Orlando Gay Chorus. Live music, all-you-can-eat brunch, mimosas, optional Bloody Mary bar, and more – it’s a must attend event. Tickets are only $39.93, but are limited, so grab your spot early!
Executive Chef Jim Nuetzi and his team from Olive Garden Italian Restaurants will present an array of delicious pastas, salads, and will feature an Italian Carving station with Turkey and Roast beef. Other traditional brunch items will be prepared by Chef Jill Holland of Catering for Good and past graduates of the Second Harvest Culinary Training Program.
The Orlando Gay Chorus will be presenting music throughout the venue and will include a piano bar in the atrium for brunch goers to enjoy and musical ensembles in dining rooms and a main show that is going to be over the top. Proceeds will benefit Second Harvest’s Culinary Training Program, which provides students with the skills and inspiration they need to obtain an entry-level position in a food service establishment. The event will also benefit the Orlando Gay Chorus, whose mission is to inspire individuals, the community and the world through excellence in musical entertainment, making the world a better place. Find out more at www.SundayFundayBrunch.org.
Take Action Online!
- GO ORANGE FOR HUNGER: Change your Facebook and Twitter profile photos orange on September 8, 2016 and keep it orange for the month of September!
- DONATE your status and share local hunger statistics on Facebook and Twitter
- LIKE Second Harvest Food Bank on Facebook
- SHARE this page with your friends and family
Social Media Posts
What can’t you do on an empty stomach? Help end hunger w/ the @2harvestCFL & share w/ #HungerActionMonth.
Everyone deserves to reach their full potential. Help end hunger: www.feedhopenow.org/ways_involved_event_ham @2harvestCFL #HungerActionMonth
Learn how you can help end hunger with the @2harvestCFL at www.feedhopenow.org/ways_involved_event_ham #HungerActionMonth
What can you do to help end hunger? Share with #HungerActionMonth @2harvestCFL.
What can’t you do on an empty stomach? Write it on a paper plate and post a selfie to help @SecondHarvestFoodBankofCentralFlorida raise awareness for the 1 in 6 people who struggle with hunger in Central Florida.#HungerActionMonth #feedhopenow
Everyone deserves to reach their full potential. Help @SecondHarvestFoodBankofCentralFlorida end empty stomachs by raising awareness for the 1 in 6 people in Central Florida who face hunger this #HungerActionMonth. #feedhopenow
For all the things we can’t do on an empty stomach, there are many ways we can work together to end hunger. Learn how you can help today at HungerActionMonth.org. #HungerActionMonth