In Central Florida, 1 in every 6 individuals are food insecure – meaning, many people that we have day-to-day interactions with do not know where their next meal will be coming from. Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida and Food Banks all across the nation participate in Hunger Action Month, asking our communities to lend their voice and spread the word about hunger.
In honor of Hunger Action Month, we’re asking the community to help “Stock the Shelves” this September. The month-long effort encourages Central Floridians to take action in the fight against hunger. Join us by getting involved in at-home and socially distanced activities.
Your help is needed to turn our community ORANGE all month long.
30 Days in 30 Ways
Use our online “30 Ways in 30 Days” calendar to find activities that can be done each day in September to help fight hunger here in Central Florida. Some actions are small like sharing a statistic about hunger in our community via Facebook while some are larger, like supporting one of our community partners throughout Central Florida.
Kendra Scott Jewelry Chance Drawing
Make sure to RSVP on Facebook to the Kendra Scott Sip ‘n Shop taking place on September 19th from 1:00 – 3:00 p.m. where they will be donating 20% of sales back to Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida and you will be entered to win your very own Kendra Scott jewelry piece. Contest will be closed September 16.
Tune in to hear Orlando Mayor, Buddy Dyer declare September as Hunger Action Month!
Mayor Buddy Dyer will announce September as Hunger Action Month in the City of Orlando and will present Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida with a Hunger Action Month Proclamation at the Virtual Orlando City Council meeting on Tuesday, September 8th at 2:00 p.m. Tune in at orlando.gov/watchonline.
Go Orange Day!
Participate in the Hunger Action Day Scavenger Hunt on September 10th! Explore the city of Orlando and go on a search for all the landmarks across town lit up orange for Hunger Awareness Month! Share your photos on Facebook and tag @feedhopenow to be entered to win a chance drawing for a wine package valued at $400 worth of wine.
Help Us Outrun Hunger!
When you run, the community wins. By joining Team Second Harvest, you commit to raising funds to secure your race spot in the virtual Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend. Every $10 you raise provides 40 meals for families, kids and seniors in Central Florida. Your efforts will help those in our community who need it the most.
Vote Out Hunger
Your vote this November can help decide the future of crucial programs like the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), how many kids get school meals, and whether ending hunger is a priority for lawmakers.
Hunger Action Month Highlights:
- 1st Monday at Five Guys:10% of sales from 5:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. will go to SHFB.
- Taqueria Tuesday’s at Black Rooster Taqueria: 10% of sales will go towards SHFB every Tuesday.
- Go ORANGE on September 10th for Hunger Action Day!
- Action Gator Tire will be donating 15% from every standard oil change as well as matching all customer donations made at check-out throughout the month of September
- Kendra Scott: On September 19th, join them in store from 1:00 – 3:00 p.m. where 20% of the proceeds from your shopping will benefit SHFB. Can’t make it? Don’t worry, our friends at Kendra Scott will also be offering 20% of online virtual sales all day Saturday the 19th and Sunday the 20th.
- Armpocket will be donating 10% of sales from their Rainbow for Heroes Armpocket band through September.
- Solight Solar Design: During the month of September, Solight Solar will be donating 40% of sales back to SHFB.
- PDQ: Visit our friends at PDQ from September 20th – 30th where you will have the opportunity to leave a donation and round up your check with proceeds benefiting SHFB.
Participating locations include:
Altamonte Springs: 875 W State Road 436, Altamonte Springs, FL 32714
Clermont: 1660 E Highway 50, Clermont, FL 34711
Hunters Creek: 14000 S John Young Pkwy, Orlando, FL 32837
Lake Nona: 11906 Narcoossee Rd, Orlando, FL 32832
Sanford: 1610 Rinehart Rd, Sanford, FL 32771
SODO: 3187 S. Orange Avenue, Orlando, FL 32806
Waterford Lakes: 12195 E Colonial Dr, Orlando, FL 32826
Winter Park: 925 S Orlando Ave, Winter Park, FL 32789
Take Action Online!
- GO ORANGE FOR HUNGER: Turn your Facebook and Twitter profile photos orange on September 10th and keep it orange for the whole month of September!
- DONATE: Update your status to share local hunger statistics on Facebook and Twitter.
- LIKE: Follow Second Harvest Food Bank on Facebook.
- SHARE: Send this page with your friends and family.
Social Media Posts
- What can’t you do on an empty stomach? Help end hunger w/ the @2harvestCFL & share w/ #StockTheShelves #HungerActionMonth.
- Everyone deserves to reach their full potential. Help end hunger: www.feedhopenow.org/ham @2harvestCFL #StockTheShelves #HungerActionMonth
- Learn how you can help end hunger with the @2harvestCFL at www.feedhopenow.org/ham #StockTheShelves #HungerActionMonth
- What can you do to help end hunger? Share with #StockTheShelves #HungerActionMonth @2harvestCFL.
- Feeding America projects that 1 in 6 people in Central Florida could face hunger in the wake of the pandemic. You can take action this #HungerActionMonth. Join @FeedingAmerica and @FeedHopeNow by providing food to your neighbors in need, one helping at a time. #StockTheShelves (Link to: www.feedhopenow.org/ham)
- This year, food banks across the country are facing increased demands because of the pandemic. You can make a difference this #HungerActionMonth. Take action with @FeedingAmerica and @FeedHopeNow to end hunger one helping at a time. #StockTheShelves (Link to: www.feedhopenow.org/ham)
- If none of us helped, millions of people would go hungry in America. Each one of us can do something, take action, and together we can end hunger one helping at a time. You can make a difference this #HungerActionMonth. #StockTheShelves (Link to: www.feedhopenow.org/ham)
Use the graphics below as Facebook and Twitter covers, social profile pics, and as shareable graphics to spread the word about hunger this September for Hunger Action Month. To download, right click and click “Save As”.