Thanksgiving is over, but the holidays are still in full effect! We have about 5 more weeks until we make it to 2011, but don’t take the back seat to your health from now until January.
Here are some tips to keep you encouraged and motivated:
• Goal: Maintain your weight.
• You DO NOT have to gain weight just because the holidays come around.
• If you’re motivated, continue with your weight loss goals, but if that seems too stressful, just aim to maintain your current weight, and pick it back up after the New Year.
• Goal: Stay active.
• Be physically active everyday in any way for at least 30 minutes or more.
• If you can’t make it to the gym, make your holiday chores work for you.
– Shopping? Park farther. Take the stairs instead of the escalator.
– House chores? Think of house chores as your new circuit routine—laundry, mopping, vacuuming, and scrubbing. Scrub that tub a little harder. Move the furniture around and vacuum all those areas you usually skip. I promise if you don’t take a break your heart rate will start pumping!
• Goal: Balance out the calories.
• You can still enjoy your favorite holiday goodies without putting on the extra pounds if you balance out your calorie intake.
• Focus on portion and frequency.
– How much mac & cheese will you put on your plate? ½ cup would be an appropriate serving size. How many times this week did you eat dessert? Consider limiting it to only 2.
• The veggie tray is your best friend at a holiday feast…just don’t over-do it on the dip!
Follow these tips and enjoy all the holiday festivities guilt-free.
Maria Ali, RD, LD/N