We just wanted to update you on the progress of Second Harvest’s Biggest Loser Team! We are a little more than halfway there. Below is our updated chart:
Woo-hoo!! We have one individual that has lost almost 10% of their original body weight!
How is your Team doing? How are you doing with the challenge? Was your goal to lose 5% of your original body weight? Maybe it was 10%? Whatever the case, keep on moving along. DO NOT GIVE UP!! There are No Quitters at the food bank!
Here’s our Tip for this Week: Get Moving!
Written by Kristina LaRue, Nutrition Intern at Second Harvest Food Bank
You may have decided to skip that slice of chocolate cake, but are you having a hard time fitting the exercise piece into your weight loss regime? … The competition is getting stiff! It’s time to kick it up a notch and feel the burn!
Exercise influences weight loss in a major way. Everyone has to eat, but everyone doesn’t choose to exercise. Exercise can give your body the extra push that’s needed to shed those lingering pounds. Best of all, it doesn’t always mean sweating bullets on the stair stepper.
Here are some fun “non-exercise” activities:
• Fix up the house — clean, paint, rearrange the furniture or plant a garden.
• Instead of watching TV, go outside. Take a stroll around the block or play Frisbee with the kids.
• Take your bike to the grocery store or to work. (You might just save some gas money, too!)
• On the weekend, go hiking, swimming, rollerblading, or take your dog to the park and play fetch.
• Raining? Find a good workout video. Look on the computer, flip through the TV channels, or get one at the store.
• Take the stairs instead of the elevator or park farther away from your destination and walk.
• Volunteer in the community. Keep yourself active.
• Do it yourself. Instead of asking others to get something for you, get up and get it!
Do you want to know how to burn more calories while sleeping? Include strength training into your weight loss plan. The more muscle you have the more calories you will burn.
Happy weight loss!
Maria Ali, RD, LD/N
For every pound you pledge to lose through May 31, 2011, the Pound For Pound Challenge will donate 11¢ to Feeding America® — enough to secure one pound of groceries on behalf of local food banks. It’s not too late to sign up for the Pound for Pound Challenge: http://www.pfpchallenge.com/fl