Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida is driven to close the gap of unmet need in Central Florida in a variety of effective ways. With your support in 2018, Second Harvest was able to Feed, Empower and Nourish our community. Here are a few highlights:
- School Markets are operating in 15 different high-need schools providing more than 230,000 pounds of snacks, meals and fresh produce to students in 2018, and our Teen Nutrition Team (TNT) is on track to complete their first full year of leadership training and in-school nutrition education
- Together, Benefits Connection assisted with 4,300 Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) applications resulting in more than $6 million in annualized benefits
- The Bites Camera Action! program logged nearly 6,000 Universal Orlando volunteer hours and distributed more than 11,500 food boxes to the community
- 20 new feeding partners joined our Hunger Relief Network and ALL of our partners are now mapped and available for the public to search on our new Food Finder tool
- 133 Mobile Food Drops throughout 6 counties totaling more than 3 million meals
- In the realm of Capacity Building, we developed a new year-end report for each of our partners and placed 55 new and donated fridges and freezers with 51 different feeding partners.
- Second Harvest Food Bank offered more than 30 training workshops and hosted our 3rd annual Partner Network Conference to further support and develop the strength of the Hunger Relief Network.
- Within Community Health & Nutrition (CHN), the Healthy Pantry Network partnered with 13 feeding partners to support 3 pilot programs providing diet-specific food to chronically ill program participants. More than $50,000 in grant funding has been used to build the capacity of the participating partners and more than 300 diet-specific food boxes have been distributed to clients.
- Additionally, CHN worked on diabetes prevention with a local clinic, provided nutrition education at more than 30 feeding partner sites, promoted Foods to Encourage in the Partner Agency Lobby and warehouse, and developed a holistic staff wellness program in partnership with Human Resources.
To learn more Second Harvest’s programs and initiatives to fight hunger across Central Florida, visit www.feedhopenow.org/how.