This September, Second Harvest Food Bank will be promoting Hunger Action Month. Hunger Action Month is when we ask everyone our supporters to take action to fight hunger in their community, all month long. Hunger Action Month is your opportunity to join a movement that has a real and lasting impact on our effort to feed more Central Floridians than ever before.
As the government continues to wrestle with proposals to control the growing national deficit, difficult decisions will have to be made in the coming months on the federal budget. A number of proposals have been put forward that cut many of the safety net programs that serve millions of low-income Americans.
How can you help?
Second Harvest Food Bank is looking for local Florida chefs to take the SNAP (Food Stamp) Challenge. By agreeing to take the SNAP Challenge you are agreeing to attempt to live on a food stamp budget for one day. While living on a food stamp budget for just a day cannot come close to the struggles low-income families encounter month after month, take the Challenge to see for yourself what even this brief experience is like. When a gallon of milk costs half of your entire day’s food budget; you’ll never look at food shopping the same way again.
Increasingly the public has been looking towards chefs to set an example for good and healthy eating in our country. Due to this fact we are asking local chefs to participate in our SNAP Challenge to help increase exposure to the SNAP program as well as shed light on the necessity of it.
Outlines for the Challenge:
1. We will assign you a week day to participate in the SNAP Challenge.
2. You will have $6.67 to spend on food for an entire day. This is the equivalent to the amount a person that receives food stamps has for each day.
3. Do not accept free food from friends or family members.
4. Do not use food that you already had in your home (common spices and condiments are allowed).
5. Following the Challenge we will send you a question/answer survey to fill out which will be part of our blog about the Challenge.
6. Be willing to be interviewed by media about this Challenge if requested.
Are you a chef or do you know a chef that wants to take this challenge? Please consider participating in our SNAP Challenge and lending your voice to the fight against hunger.
Please contact me at email@example.com or via phone at 407-295-5009 x28 to sign up.