In honor of National Corn on the Cob Day, here are some “Kernels of Knowledge” about the Grocery Alliance Program:
1. The Grocery Alliance Program helps provide a wide range of nutritious and sought-after foods to our neighbors in need, like produce, meat, dairy, and bakery items.
2. The Grocery Alliance team collects donations from over 400 retail or grocery stores in Orange, Osceola, Lake, Seminole, Brevard, and Volusia counties.
3. So many miles! Our 11 drivers travel about an average of 4,200 miles a week which is more than 218,000 miles every year. That is like driving around the circumference of the Earth more than 8 times!
4. In 2017, the Grocery Alliance Program saved over 28 million pounds of food. If we stacked a dinner plate for every meal rescued, that stack of plates would be taller than 16 Mount Everests or even 373 Empire State Buildings!
5. The Grocery Alliance Program also empowers agencies to partner with retail stores in rescuing food and serving their community. These empowered agencies account for almost 30% of the pick-ups.
You can learn more about how food is collected and distributed out into the community here.
– Anni Altz, Grocery Alliance Program Intern