Hunger Action Month Is Back!
In Central Florida, 1 in every 6 individuals are food insecure – meaning, many people that we have day-to-day interactions with do not know where their next meal will be coming from. Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida and food banks all across the nation participate in Hunger Action Month, asking our communities to lend their voice and spread the word about hunger. As a community, let’s raise awareness of the problem, help feed hungry neighbors and work together to not only feed the line, but also to shorten it.
Please join us in turning the city ORANGE all month long!
30 Ways in 30 Days
Use our online “30 Ways in 30 Days” calendar to find activities that can be done each day in September to help fight hunger here in Central Florida. Some actions are small like sharing a statistic about hunger in our community via Facebook while some are larger, like attending one of the special events happening throughout Central Florida.
Take the Share A Meal Challenge!
STEP 1: Share a meal: Food is something that we can all relate to. Share your favorite meals with us using the #shareameal hashtag on social media.
STEP 2: Donate what you spent on that meal to help provide meals to children, families and seniors in our community at feedhopenow.org/shareameal. All gifts are being matched dollar for dollar – up to $5,000.
STEP 3: Challenge 3 friends to share their meals by tagging them in your post. Make sure to use the hashtag #ShareaMeal so we can share it too!
Social Media verbiage:
I’m accepting the Second Harvest Share a Meal Challenge and I’m donating the cost of this meal to help my neighbors in need. Plus my donation is being matched! I’m challenging (friend), (friend) and (friend) to do the same. #ShareaMeal
Hunger Action Month Highlights:
- 1st Monday at Five Guys – September 4 – 10% of sales from 5 – 9 p.m. will be donated to Second Harvest!
- Taqueria Tuesday’s at Black Rooster Taqueria – 10% of sales will benefit Second Harvest every Tuesday!
- Go ORANGE on September 14 for Hunger Action Day!
- Do Good Date Night – September 15 – Enjoy a fun date night out with Orlando Date Night Guide’s Do Good Date Night while making a difference in our community! SOLD OUT
- Cheese for Charity Mac’N Cheese Cookoff – September 16 – Join Dead Lizard Brewing Company for the first annual Cheese for Charity Mac’N Cheese Cookoff benefiting the Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida. In addition to opportunities to taste fabulous Mac’N Cheese, the event includes live music, raffles, yard games, and fabulous beer all day long.
- Orlando Magazine 2017 Burger Battle – September 23 – Join the most popular Central Florida restaurants and chefs for an epic, battle-style burger competition unlike anything you’ve seen before at the brand new Ace Café in Downtown Orlando.
- Small Wheels Race and Family Fun Volunteer Day – September 24 – It’s a Family Fun Day at the food bank! Come and volunteer with the whole family and experience a mini iron man race inside our very own warehouse! (Ages 5+) Guest starring Chris Sadowski who has completed the Swiss Alpine Marathon nine times and Ironman Switzerland twice, all while fundraising for Second Harvest!
- Sip and Shop at Firefly and Lilies – September 28 – Come on out to Firefly and Lilies from 5 – 7 p.m. to enjoy some champagne, shop this affordable specialty gift and women’s boutique, and give back to the community! 20% of proceeds go to Second Harvest!
Take Action Online!
GO ORANGE FOR HUNGER. Change your Facebook and Twitter profile photos showing your orange on September 14th!
DONATE your status and share local hunger statistics on Facebook and Twitter.
LIKE Second Harvest Food Bank on Facebook.
SHARE this page with your friends and family.
Social Media Posts
What can’t you do on an empty stomach? Help end hunger with @feedhopenow #HungerActionMonth
Everyone deserves to reach their full potential. Help end hunger: feedhopenow.org/ham @feedhopenow #HungerActionMonth
Learn how you can help end hunger with @feedhopenow at feedhopenow.org/ham #HungerActionMonth
What can you do to help end hunger? #HungerActionMonth @feedhopenow
What can’t you do on an empty stomach? Write it on a paper plate and post a selfie to help Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida raise awareness for the 1 in 6 people who struggle with hunger in Central Florida. #HungerActionMonth #feedhopenow
Everyone deserves to reach their full potential. Help Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida end empty stomachs by raising awareness for the 1 in 6 people in Central Florida who face hunger this #HungerActionMonth. #feedhopenow
For all the things we can’t do on an empty stomach, there are many ways we can work together to end hunger. Learn how you can help today at FeedHopeNow.org. #HungerActionMonth
Use the graphics below as Facebook and Twitter covers, social profile pics, and as shareable graphics to spread the word about hunger this September for Hunger Action Month. To download, right click and click “Save As”.