National Nutrition Month may have ended, but we’re promoting healthy choices all year long. Here’s our challenge to you: try to include all 5 food groups in at least 1 meal every day this week. Does that sound too difficult? Let me share how simple this can be.
Turkey Cobb Salad Roll-Ups paired with Carrot Slaw includes foods from the fruit, vegetable, grain, and protein food groups. What food group is missing from this meal?
Dairy is missing. To fill in the gap—add cheese to the wrap, a cup of skim or 1% milk as a beverage, or a side of yogurt. With the addition of dairy, this meal includes foods from all five food groups.
Try these nutritious, quick and easy recipes out this week.
The Turkey Cobb Salad Roll-Ups are a go-to meal when you’re short on time or energy because they require absolutely no cooking. Paired with Carrot Slaw, this colorful meal provides a rainbow of nutrients.
Turkey Cobb Salad Roll-Ups
Oxmoor House March 2010
- 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 cup chopped seeded tomato (1 medium)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions (2 medium)
- 3 tablespoons blue cheese-flavored yogurt dressing
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces thinly sliced roast turkey
- 1 avocado, diced
- 4 (1.9-ounce) multigrain flatbreads
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a medium bowl. Spoon turkey mixture evenly onto flatbreads; roll up.
Cooking Light Fresh Food Fast Weeknight Meals, Oxmoor House2010
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 1/2 cups grated carrot (about pound)
- 1 1/2 cups diced green apple (1 small)
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add carrot and apple; toss well.
Are you interested in finding more healthy recipes? Visit MyPlate on Pinterest.
Maria Ali, RD, LD/N