Just in time for the Super Bowl, this recipe is quick, simple and packed with all the right stuff! From vitamins to fiber and protein to healthy fats, you can feel good about this healthy twist on a game day favorite.
Students and families at Eccleston Elementary got a sneak peek at this twist on a game day favorite last week during a Bites Camera Action farmers market and resource fair.
The event served 107 families and 563 people, providing fresh sweet potatoes, white potatoes and additional pantry staples.
Game Day Nachos
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 1 14.5 oz. can of black beans, cooked in water until soft
- 1/2 of one large onion, chopped
- Garlic powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 avocadoes
- 1 lime (for juice)
- 1 jar salsa
- 1 bag of tortilla chips, consider using blue corn chips
- Roast, peel and mash sweet potatoes. Add salt to taste.
- Combine beans, onion, garlic powder, bay leaf and salt and pepper (to taste). Cook with water until soft.
- Mash avocados and add juice of one lime. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Assemble ingredients on a plate, starting with the sweet potato as the base. Next add a layer of black beans. Finally, top with avocado, salsa, and any other creative, healthy toppings.
- Dig in with your favorite nacho chips!
Additional toppings may include jalapeno, chopped tomato, shredded lettuce, scallions or red onion, etc. Also, plantain chips would be a great alternative to corn chips.
Did you notice there is no cheese on these nachos? Because this recipe is naturally salty and sweet, the cheese is unnecessary.
Feel good about what you eat and enjoy the big game!