The candle wasn’t even cool in the jack-o-lanterns on my front porch on Halloween when I began seeing my friends post pictures of holiday decorations on social media. The season’s greetings messages started appearing on electric pole banners in my neighborhood last week. And then, as a sure sign that the holiday season has arrived, my kids requested gingerbread flavored everything.
This holiday season, Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida has four main ways you can give back to kids, families and seniors in a big way.
Shop for a Cause
You can provide hope for the holidays while checking some items off your gift list this season.
- Holiday Cards – Spread holiday cheer to your friends, family, co-workers and clients with traditional holiday cards… our elves can personalize and mail them for you too! Each card will provide at least 20 meals to our neighbors in need.
- Holiday Meals – Make your holiday meal a life changer when you purchase a catered dinner prepared by the Darden Foundation Community Kitchen. You set the table and let our chefs do the rest.
- A Spoon Full of Hope Products – Products from our new A Spoon Full of Hope line make terrific gifts and help support the Culinary Training Program.
- Shopping for Good – When you shop using Amazon Smile or Shop & Support, a percentage of your purchase helps provide nutritious meals for our neighbors in need. You can also donate a portion of your online sales to Second Harvest through eBay for Charity or purchase a go greenback membership to further support your neighbors in need while saving money when you shop or dine out all season long.
- Host a Food or Fund Drive – You can collect non-perishable food donations in your community, or host a virtual food drive to collect monetary donations at your work, church or in your neighborhood – or both! Either way, you are helping provide nutritious meals for families in our community.
- FUNdraise for Good – Looking for more unique ways to provide hope this holiday season? You can create your own FUNdraising page using one of several platforms, including Facebook Fundraisers. Every $10 you raise can provide 40 meals to our neighbors in need.
- Donate – 97% of every dollar donates goes straight to feeding people.
- Giving Tuesday – Mark your calendar for Tuesday, November 27, and help feed hope this holiday season. Then, join us online at feedhopenow.org/givingtuesday, on WESH 2 News and on social media to participate in the worldwide day of giving.
- Find a Food Drive – Each year Second Harvest collects more than one million pounds of food from community food drives sponsored by individuals, companies, clubs and schools. Find a food drive collection location near you on our online events calendar.
- Become a Meal Maker – This holiday season you can give the gift that delivers hope all year long as one of our monthly donors.
Attend an Event
Attending a local event is a great way to get in the holiday spirit. Check out our online calendar of events to find local businesses, organizations and events that are doing something special this season to spread holiday cheer.
Lending a helping hand can be a terrific way to get in the holiday spirit. We have volunteer opportunities available throughout November, December and into the New Year. For more information visit www.feedhopenow.org/volunteer.
Whether you choose to make a difference this holiday season as a donor, food drive organizer, event attendee or volunteer, your caring contribution is making a real difference in the lives of others. Thank you!