Hello Biggest Losers!
Everyone is doing fantastic, but I have heard some of you say you want to step it up. If you want to lose 1 pound a week, you need to cut 500 calories a day, but you must do this without skipping meals. Below are some tips to slash down the calories. Maybe you have already adopted these habits? …If you haven’t, give them a try!
*Remember, the BEST combination to cut calories is to eat better AND exercise.*
50 Easy Ways to Cut 100 Calories
By Emily Vale, SparkPeople Contributor
1. Split a 20 oz. bottle of regular soda with a friend. Save 120 calories!
2. Drink 1 cup of diet soda instead of 1 cup of regular soda. Save 97 calories!
3. Swap a 12-oz. glass of whole milk for skim milk. Save 96 calories!
4. Drink two 12-oz. light beers this weekend instead of two regular beers. Save 100 calories!
5. Instead of 1 cup of prepared lemonade, try 1 cup of a sugar free variety. Save 103 calories!
6. Eat a medium orange instead of drinking 12 oz. of fresh orange juice. Save 106 calories!
7. Prepare your coffee with 4 oz. of fat-free half and half instead of regular half and half. Save 88 calories!
8. Enjoy 5 oz. of chocolate milk instead of 5 oz. of a chocolate milkshake Save 110 calories!
9. Spread your whole grain waffles with 2 tablespoons of maple syrup instead of 1 tablespoon of margarine or butter. Save 110 calories!
10. Top your whole grain bagel with 1.5 oz of fat-free cream cheese in lieu of regular. Save 108 calories!
11. Try 1 oz. of maple turkey bacon instead of maple (pork) bacon. Save 118 calories!
12. Ditch the glazed donut and eat a bagel instead. Save 93 calories!
13. Eat 3/4 cup oatmeal instead of a 1-1/2 cups of oatmeal. Save 97 calories!
14. Substitute 3 oz. of turkey sausage for a serving of pork sausage. Save 120 calories!
15. Grab a small bagel instead of a medium bagel. Save 99 calories!
Snacks and Sides
16. Dip 1 cup celery into your favorite salsa or hummus instead of 1 oz. of tortilla chips. Save 125 calories!
17. Eat an entire medium apple instead of a small (5 oz.) candy apple. Save 118 calories!
18. Snack on 1 oz. of baked potato chips instead of regular chips. Save 90 calories!
19. Better yet, eat 2 oz. pretzels instead of the same size portion of potato chips. Save 94 calories!
20. Bake 2 oz of oven fries in lieu of 2 oz. of fast food fries. Save 88 calories!
21. Forgo a 6-oz portion of potato chips and nosh on 6 oz. of tortilla chips instead. Save 96 calories!
22. Say no to 1 oz of deep-fried onion rings and instead enjoy 1 oz. of grilled onions with your meal. Save 92 calories!
23. Try 1.5 oz. of fresh grapes instead of 1.5 oz. of raisins. Save 98 calories!
24. Enjoy a healthy 8-oz. baked potato instead of 8 oz. of French fries. Save 104 calories!
25. Choose 3 oz. of mozzarella cheese for your sandwich instead of Swiss cheese. Save 108 calories!
26. Swap 1 cup of canned pineapple in heavy syrup for crushed pineapple in water. Save 119 calories!
Lunch and Dinner
27. Cut a 6 oz. steak in half and take the other portion home for another meal. Save 111 calories!
28. Order a skinless chicken breast instead of chicken with skin. Save 102 calories!
29. Substitute a fat-free beef hot dog for a regular beef hot dog. Save 104 calories!
30. Build a sandwich with1.5 oz. of deli turkey breast instead of an equivalent of hard salami. Save 119 calories!
31. Instead of 6 oz. of crispy fried chicken with skin, eat 6 oz. baked chicken with skin. Save 102 calories!
32. Choose a slice of thin crust pizza over thick crust pizza. Save 106 calories!
33. Add vegetable toppings to your pizza order and say no to pepperoni. Save 100 calories!
34. Forget broccoli cheddar soup. A 7-oz portion of vegetable soup is better. Save 119 calories!
35. Enjoy 12 oz of steamed rice (choose brown rice when possible) as an alternative to fried rice. Save 96 calories!
36. Unwrap your 13-inch tortilla wrap and make a sandwich on a 3-oz. whole grain bagel instead. Save 96 calories!
37. Eat only half of your hamburger or sandwich bun. Save 100 calories!
Condiments and Sauces
38. Dip your salad in a side of ranch dressing (2 tsp.) instead of pouring 2 Tbsp of dressing on the salad. Save 97 calories!
39. Skip the 5 oz. of Alfredo sauce and eat a whopping 7 oz. of marinara sauce. Save 129 calories!
40. Add flavor to vegetables with 3 oz. of hot sauce—not 1 oz of bleu cheese dressing. Save 117 calories!
41. Top your salad with 1.5 oz. reduced-fat Italian dressing instead of regular. Save 96 calories!
42. Try either cheese or croutons on your salad—not both Save 72-116 calories!
43. Instead of 3 oz. of regular sour cream, use a fat-free variety. Save 120 calories!
44. Use 2 Tbsp reduced-fat light mayonnaise instead of regular mayonnaise. Save 102 calories!
Sweets and Desserts
45. Serve ice cream in a dish instead of a waffle cone. Save 121 calories!
46. Try a healthier peanut granola bar instead of a peanut candy bar. Save 94 calories!
47. Finish dinner with 1 cup of low-fat frozen yogurt instead of regular ice cream. Save 121 calories!
48. Substitute 5 oz. of apple pie, with 5 oz. of baked apple crisp. Save 85 calories!
49. Instead of 4 oz. of regular chocolate pudding, enjoy a sugar-free portion. Save 92 calories!
50. Leave that 1/2 cup of strawberry ice cream in the freezer. Enjoy 1/2 cup of fresh strawberries topped with 2 Tbsp of fat-free whipped cream as an alternative. Save 102 calories!
Cutting 100 calories here and there is an easy way to form healthier eating habits without feeling deprived or hungry. With just a few of these tricks up your sleeve, you’ll be on your way to reaching your goals in no time!
Maria Ali, RD, LD/N